1) Read, Pray, Listen - When things start getting wacky, I need to start my day off right. Reading my bible daily helps me keep the peace and find joy. I get up at 4:30 am to get my quiet time. I currently use the Youversion bible app. It has plans on it for various topics. Some plans have guided prayers as well. Also, I love Jesus Calling devotional by Sarah Young. In addition, I am reading Fervent by Priscilla Shirer with my bible study group. I have begun to write down my prayers and celebrate answered prayers with a visual prayer box. Listening to worship music on my way to school and while I get dressed has also done wonders.
2) Meditation - I got into meditation approximately a year ago. I love it. I sometimes use the www.calm.com or calm app. I have used this in therapy with my students as well as with my son. You can select various background sounds. Choose between guided or unguided sessions. Other options include - topics with affirmations, programs, and varying length of time.
3) Massage - I absolutely love getting a massage. I used to have a membership at Massage Envy. Now, I go when I can as I am being more conservative with my funds as a single mom. If you are a single mom too, just know there are other options. You don't have to go to a fancy spa to get a good massage. Look into massage therapist who work out of small offices or even will come to your home. Also check Groupon and living social for deals.
4) Exercise - Now, this one is a must but not actually always my favorite. I have been using my son as an excuse as to why I am not consistently working out. Yes, I have limited time. Yes, in the past, he got in my way. Is that a good enough excuse though. NO!! Recently, I have begun to include him. That was the best decision I ever made. It's a good full body workout too. He loves it. He actually will request it so that's extra motivation and a great reminder. We also play tag at the park, go for walks, and play sports such as basketball, soccer, and football. Be creative. Get active. Play and have fun.
|Lift and Squat|
5) Social/ Friendships - Last but not least, I make sure to fit in time to meet up with my best girlfriends. Make sure you cultivate and nourish your relationships. Set up a lunch or dinner with your "bestie". Choose a relaxing activity to do with a friend like yoga, hiking, gardening or painting. I recently did a Paint Nite with co-workers. It can be so rejuvenating.