Forget March Madness! It's End of the School Year Madness!

I'm back!!!  Sorry for the little hiatus.  April, which was OT month by the way, was very busy for me. I had to move and we celebrated both my son's birthday and my birthday. Now the May/ End of the school year madness has begun. Why do I call it madness?  Well, let's see.  There are transition meetings, ESY meetings, annual reviews, finishing up evaluations, students getting anxious due to end of grade tests and summer coming, looking for summer work, etc. When you are a single mother, trying to keep balance and order in your life is an ongoing task. So, what are some things that I am doing to try to stay sane and keep my feet and head on the ground. Think Mental Health since May is Mental Health Awareness Month.

1)  Read, Pray, Listen - When things start getting wacky, I need to start my day off right. Reading my bible daily helps me keep the peace and find joy. I get up at 4:30 am to get my quiet time. I currently use the Youversion bible app. It has plans on it for various topics. Some plans have guided prayers as well.  Also, I love Jesus Calling devotional by Sarah Young.  In addition, I am reading Fervent by Priscilla Shirer with my bible study group. I have begun to write down my prayers and celebrate answered prayers with a visual prayer box. Listening to worship music on my way to school and while I get dressed has also done wonders.
                    

2) Meditation - I got into meditation approximately a year ago.  I love it.  I sometimes use the www.calm.com or calm app.  I have used this in therapy with my students as well as with my son. You can select various background sounds. Choose between guided or unguided sessions. Other options include - topics with affirmations, programs, and varying length of time.
            

3) Massage - I absolutely love getting a massage. I used to have a membership at Massage Envy.  Now, I go when I can as I am being more conservative with my funds as a single mom. If you are a single mom too, just know there are other options. You don't have to go to a fancy spa to get a good massage.  Look into massage therapist who work out of small offices or even will come to your home.  Also check Groupon and living social for deals.



Chris Curls



4) Exercise - Now, this one is a must but not actually always my favorite. I have been using my son as an excuse as to why I am not consistently working out. Yes, I have limited time.  Yes, in the past, he got in my way.  Is that a good enough excuse though.  NO!!   Recently, I have begun to include him. That was the best decision I ever made. It's a good full body workout too.  He loves it. He actually will request it so that's extra motivation and a great reminder. We also play tag at the park, go for walks, and play sports such as basketball, soccer, and football. Be creative. Get active. Play and have fun.
Lift and Squat
Bridge Planks
baby suicides
Leg Lifts

5) Social/ Friendships - Last but not least, I make sure to fit in time to meet up with my best girlfriends.  Make sure you cultivate and nourish your relationships.  Set up a lunch or dinner with your "bestie".  Choose a relaxing activity to do with a friend like yoga, hiking, gardening or painting.  I recently did a Paint Nite with co-workers. It can be so rejuvenating.


Comments