Diversity in OT


  

Happy Black History Month!! This year is the 1st time in a long time that I have reflected on what it means to be a Black OT. I think this is the 1st time that I have publicly shared my experiences. 

When I was in OT school, my class consisted of approximately 35 students. There was me (black female), an Indian female student, and 3 Caucasian male students. All of the other students were Caucasian female students. I experienced racism while in school. I had a professor call me to her office and suggest that I drop out of the program. She suggested that I was more suitable for special education despite the fact that I had an "A" in her class. I just ignored her. My mother and grandmothers had groomed me to be mentally tough. 

Then there was the isolation. I was always one of the last to get picked to be in a group. They never invited me to study with them. Even a girl that I knew prior to the program, treated me differently once we were classmates. 

How did I survive you ask? Well as I said, I was mentally tough, and I had a strong support system. Besides my family, I had joined Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. I so had a strong network outside of class. I also had 2 professors that did believe in me, knew I earned my seat in that program, and I desired to be there. 

My fieldwork coordinator sent me to black graduates of the program for my Level I fieldwork. I didn't realize he was being intentional until the 3rd one. Lol These OTs encouraged me and proved that it could be accomplished. They provided me a tutor for neuroanatomy. They confirmed that that professor was racist and attempted to manipulate several black students in the past. I realized I wasn't alone. I regret not keeping in touch with those therapists once I graduated and moved away. My fieldwork coordinator also had me engage in public speaking on campus, at high schools and at HBCUs nearby to promote Occupational Therapy and to potentially increase the diversity within the program. It worked too because the class under me ended up have 5 black students, 4 females and a male. 


You might ask why I didn't attend an HBCU? Well interestingly enough, the one program near me was not fully accredited at the time and I was afraid they wouldn't get it prior to graduation. The other interesting fact is I would have still been a minority. That's right. The OT program at the HBCU didn't have black students in the classes pictured on the walls either. 

Once I got my degree and began to work, I thankfully didn't experience racism in the workplace. I was supported and embraced by the OTs I worked with. Initially, I was typically the only one or one of a few but at least I was treated as an equal. I'm proud to say that diversity within my current job has improved. I'm also proud that AOTA (American Occupational Therapy Association) has acknowledged the need for diversity within the profession and added a Diversity, Equity and Inclusion committee and strategic plan. There are also local and national organizations for black OTs. 

I feel happy and fulfilled as an Occupational Therapist. I am passionate about what I do, and I am happy that I was able to preserve through a temporary uncomfortable experience in order to do what I enjoy day after day. Diversity in OT matters. 







































































































































































Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment