Mentorship and Coaching



Happy OT Month! This is my take three!! And action.......I am a true example of falling forward. Last year it was my intention to begin blogging consistently again but it just didn't happen. Life took it's toll. I'm already planning my next post regarding wellness and mental health so that you can have better insight on what happened but I wanted my 3rd comeback post to be on a positive note so this one is about Mentoring and Coaching. After working in the profession for 19-20 years, I long for something new, something different. I was looking for leadership opportunities. I was given the chance to be a new hire mentor and I loved it. I enjoyed sharing my knowledge and teaching. This experience really re-energized me and inspired me to do more of this. This year I've decided to stop treating my career as a job. This year I'm planning to expand in this area privately by providing Mentorship and Coaching to Occupational Therapists in school based practice. Hence the re-birth of TherapyMomMe.



          There were no formal systems in place for mentorship when I was a new graduate. I worked with several "seasoned" Occupational Therapist. I just tried to ask them questions whenever I was around them and I soaked up all their wisdom like a sponge, but in the schools, most of the time I was alone. The other OTs are at their schools and you are in yours. Back when I was a new graduate all of this new technology didn't exist. I'm happy that in my district we have developed multiple ways for therapist to connect and be mentored, but I also realize that we are fortunate and there are many therapist out there that still don't have those resources. I get calls and text messages from former co-workers and fieldwork students all the time and see therapist asking questions to Facebook groups to gain support. We should not have to feel like we are alone and with limited support. 


         Being a new hire mentor, helped me grow as a therapist in many ways. It helped me work on my communication skills. Due to COVID-19, most of our interactions were virtual. We met via Google Meet, talked on the phone, or were in contact via email. Email was definitely the main area where I focused on being very careful with my communication. Through email, people can't read your tone or intention. I found myself in a hurry to respond and typing out bunt answers to questions or providing feedback then stopping myself, re-reading the response and being sure to add some positives and making sure my tone wasn't too harsh. I found myself thinking how I would feel or respond if I got an email from someone like that and really having empathy for this new graduate OT who was hired a few days before shutdown in a pandemic. Communication is key. Providing constructive feedback in a way that promotes growth and learning. Also being an active listener to your mentee's responses to determine if there is an understanding and if you are teaching according to their learning style. 

      I thought it would be a lot like having a level II fieldwork student but it is different. This is a certified OT so Mentors should respect their degree. I provided her opportunities to reflect on her work and seek help in areas she wanted to grow in. I gave feedback on goals, treatment planning, evaluations but I also tried to spend more time making sure she understood my clinical reasoning regarding these things so that she could build capacity. 




      There are several benefits to a mentor - mentee relationship. Evidence shows that Mentorship impacts long-term performance, productivity, and innovation. It builds the confidence of the mentee and improved interpersonal skills. The Mentee also learns how to handle feedback and increases his/her clinical reasoning skills.  NBCOT is now giving Professional Development Units (PDUs) for mentorship. Both the Mentor and the mentee earn units. Some states including my state, NC, license board is also allowing some continuing education credits/points for mentorship as well. 

images: EpicTop10.com    
Photo by Christina @ wocintechchat.com on Unsplash
OT T-shirt Photo by Meelan Bawjee on Unsplash

Comments